Occupational Accident Insurance (OAI) coverage was developed for independent contractors as an inexpensive alternative to those individuals not required to obtain workers’ compensation insurance. While OAI is not workers’ compensation, it is structured to respond in a similar fashion, providing medical and lost wage protection for an injured independent contractor. It minimizes the possibility of an injured independent contractor filing a workers’ compensation claim against the motor carrier.
RFO Insurance Services was one of the original providers of this coverage to the trucking industry and has authored several related insurance products currently available. In addition, our background in the trucking industry helps provide our clients with an understanding of the issues relevant to independent contractors and their contractual agreements.
The advantages of using RFO Insurance Services for Occupational Accident Insurance are:
- Knowledge of the insurance marketplace and the strength and weakness of each insurer’s program.
- Knowledge of Contingent Worker’s Compensation coverage, and the strength and weakness of each insurer’s program.
- Ability to assist in the design of a program to meet the needs of the motor carrier and their independent contractors.
- Ability to tie an Occupational Accident Insurance program with the motor carrier’s Worker’s Compensation program to offer “seamless” coverage.
- Immediate certificate issuance for coverage verification.
- Monthly payment plans.